Spring is a fun time for fashion because we get to switch out our dark and heavy bags for brighter and lighter ones. The light colored bags are lovely for the season but they tend to show more wear and tear. So I decided to consult Greg, a local leather Craftsman, and cobbler for some tips on keeping my Spring bags looking good all season.
Greg, is the owner of Alfa Shoe and Luggage Repair shop, which has been in business for over 30 years. Today I will be sharing with you a few tips about the care of leather bags courtesy of Greg’s decades of experience and wisdom.
Below are 5 simple ways to preserve your leather bags this Spring.
1. Repair at first of wear. Most of us have a favorite bag that pairs perfectly with every item of clothing we wear. Well, our favorites tend to wear out faster due to excessive use so preserve it by taking it to be repaired as soon as you see visible wear and tear. The sooner you fix the source of the problem, the longer your bag will last.
2. Practice preventative care. Store leather bags in a dry and cool environment and avoid leaving your bag in a hot car or humid environment. Similar to your health, preventative care is better than having to get a repair a problem.
3. Lighten your Load. Only carry essentials in your handbag, do not overload it or the straps will be strained and begin to rip. Thankfully this Spring mini shoulder bags are back in style which I know will help me minimize the items I choose to carry.
4. Protect and Preserve. Easily prevent liquid stains by capping pens and keeping a tight lid on all liquids in and around your leather bag.
5. Stay above ground. Whenever possible, place your handbag on a clean smooth surface. Keep it off the floor because if it gets a stain it may be difficult to decipher its origin and make it harder to clean.
Many thanks to Greg and Alpha Shoe and Luggage Repair for these tips that have helped me over the years to maintain my vintage leather bags, I hope they help you also!
Do you have any other tips you use when caring for your leather accessories? Please share below in the comments section.
Thank you for reading!